Apligraf® health economic analyses.
Apligraf has been proven to reduce the economic burden VLUs and DFUs have on patients and healthcare costs.1-6
The economic burden of treating unhealed VLUs and DFUs
Unhealed VLUs dramatically increase the economic burden on the healthcare system.1
more hospital days
more days of
per year in
Up to 27%
more outpatient visits
DFUs and their complications are a significant burden on the healthcare system.
is the 5-year mortality rate in people with a diabetes-related amputation2
$17 billion per year
is the estimated associated cost to treat DFUs and DFU complications, including amputations3
and their resulting extended hospital visits are one of the leading causes of higher costs in DFU cases4
Apligraf is proven to be cost-effective in treating VLUs and DFUs
An economic model estimated the annual medical cost and economic impact of managing patients with hard-to-heal VLUs.5
For patients treated with Apligraf, as compared with Unna's boot, patients had:
in annual medical cost
3 more months
in the healed state
Improved healing requiring
fewer months of treatment,
lower overall treatment costs
In an analysis of Medicare claims for patients with DFUs, 502 Apligraf-treated patients were compared with their 502 conventional care counterparts.6
During the 18-month follow-up period, Apligraf patients had:
reduction in lower
reduction in average
- Rice JB, et al. J Med Econ. 2014;17(5):347-356.
- Moulik PK, et al. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(2):491-494.
- Barshes NR, et al. Diabet Foot Ankle. 2013;4. doi:10.3402/dfa.v4i0.21847
- Kirsner RS. Am J Manag Care. 2018;24(14, special issue):SP607-SP608.
- Schonfeld WH, et al. Wound Repair Regen. 2000;8:251-257.
- Rice JB, et al. J Med Econ. 2015;18(8):586-595.